I’ve been dropped from the passenger list on the MV Edinburgh which was due to leave for Cape Town today. This is due to a medical evacuation. I’m re-booked on the next ship leaving on the 12th June in 6 weeks time. But it’s a major spanner in our travel plans. Simon was due to fly out to meet me off the ship in Cape Town and after a week’s holiday we were to fly back to the UK. All our flights, accommodation and rail travel will have to be postponed or cancelled. It is such a disappointment as I was so looking forward to it. And a major anticlimax after hectic weeks of finishing off and packing up.
Although I’m higher up the list, there is still no guarantee I’d get on the June ship either as medevacs always take priority. Andy, the Tristan Radio Operator, and Kobus, the Chief Executive, are contacting passing ships to ask if they could divert to Tristan and give me a lift. Yesterday they made three enquiries – including one to the British Antarctic Survey, whose two ships are currently in transit between the Falkland Islands and the UK after their Antarctic summer season. A little excitement to temper the disappointment.
As it turns out the Edinburgh is not going to leave on time – poor weather has held up off-loading until today. It also has a bit of fishing to do before returning to South Africa. They predict taking passengers tomorrow afternoon and departing on Friday, weather permitting.
Meantime I’m packed up and ready to go – and I’ve got to stay ready as there might not be much notice of a ship arriving. I’ll keep you posted ...